Tuesday, December 22, 2009

On the 9th day of Christmas, Santa Beer gave to me...

a really tasty IPA from Cal-eee-for-nee - Green Flash West Coast IPA.

I really enjoy San Diego. I hadn't been there since I was a kid (and there are some fantastic Seaworld pictures circa 1989 from trips to SD), but went a few years ago for an estate planning conference (Sexy taxes, right?). Great food, beautiful weather, and a Mecca of Beer. After having some of the samplings that San Diego has to offer, I am fully intending on planning a trip to visit breweries and see a Chargers game.

The West Coast IPA pours a dark golden honey color, with a decent head that hangs around a while. The beer smells absolutely delicious, with very fragrant citrusy hops. One of the things I love about IPAs is the bitterness that comes from all of the hops, which is very prevenlent in this beer. The sourness and hop flavor is very smooth, but blended expertly so that you can detect the various components in the beer. No aftertaste though, which surprised me. The tangy bitter flavor had a great mouth feel and heavier than I would have thought. I've had the Double/Imperial IPA that Green Flash offers and I actually preferred the standard IPA over the Imperial. Definitely would keep this one as a regular in the Beer Fridge, unfortunately can't get it in Albuquerque. Guess I'll just have to stock up in Phoenix!

Appearance - 3.5/5.0 - Dark golden, honey color - translucent with a decent head
Smell - 4.5/5.0 - Very fragrant, citrus, hops - delicious
Taste - 4.5/5.0 -Bitterness from the get go, sour malt and hop flavor is smooth but noticable; no aftertaste really; good balance of flavors
Feel - 4.0/5.0 - Smooth, tangy and bitter
Drinkability - 5.0/5.0 - If I could get this beer in ABQ regularly, I think it would be a regular in the fridge.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

One of my favorites. If you'd move to colorado this could be in your fridge regularly, just sayin'...