Thursday, September 3, 2009

Just let Mr. Moylan lift your kilt....

I really enjoy Scotch Ales...very robust, very tasty. Anyway, I saw this one at Kelly's Liquors and figured I'd give it a try. Since it was a bomber and I didn't want to be greedy, I invited over Blake to see what he thought of it (as a man who appreciates his Scottish heritage). The beer was quite good. The cloudy, rusty brown color was different than I had seen in other scotch ales, which tended to be a similar color, but definitely not cloudy. The scent was a little fruity with some caramel and malt. You can get a hint of the 8% ABV at the end of each taste, where there is a slight taste of alcohol and bitterness.

Look - 4.50/5.0 - The unique haziness of the beer was cool and made it stand apart from other scotch ales I've had.
Smell - 4.0/5.0 - Slightly sweet with a nice touch of caramel and malt.
Taste - 4.0/5.0 - Smooth, malty with just a hint of sweetness to ease on the touch of bitterness. An extremely well blended beer.
Feel - 4.5/5.0 - The smoothness of the beer paired with the excellent mix of sweet and bitter made it really fresh.
Drinkability - 4.5/5.0 - Would definitely get this one again - makes for a great bomber to share with a friend!

No comments: