Tuesday, September 29, 2009

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Brew



So sue me, Chama River doesn't have a whole lot of logos I can use. But the inspiration for Chama River's Dr. Strangehop Imperial IPA seemed highly appropriate. Did you realize that Russians have vodka running through their veins, rather than blood? I didn't either, but then I found out that true-blooded American drinkers have hops running through their veins.

The Dr. Strangehop was an extremely hoppy brew - but in a really good way. The cloudy and light amber look of the beer was nice, but it was the fragrant citrus aroma was what really sold me on the beer. Compared to another local Imperial IPA (from Marble), I feel like the Dr. Strangehop Imperial IPA was far more masterfully blended so that the bitterness was illustrated in the beer, but not so up-front that it overpowered the beer. The beer's aftertaste was nice in that it lingered for a little bit, but did not outright dissipate. For being at 120+ IBUs and 8.9% ABV, this was indeed a potent brew, but it was very drinkable and enjoyable over a nice crab cake and green chile stew.

Appearance - 3.5/5.0 - The cloudiness was semi-unique for an IPA and the color was very appealing.
Scent - 4.5/5.0 - The citrusly fragrance was really appealing and inticing to drink.
Taste - 4.5/5.0 - Hoppy, bitter, but well blended to make for a high quality taste.
Feel -4.0/5.0 - Strong taste that lingered, but not in a bad way.
Drinkability - 4.5/5.0 - If I was in the mood to drink potent Imperial IPAs all day, this would be a beer I would pick as part of the rotation.

No comments: