Friday, October 23, 2009

He exists - Hopsquatch!!!

I had heard about this speciality beer before, but apparently my camera skills sucked and never managed to get proof that it existed. Fortunately, I layed in wait long enough at Four Peaks to get served a nice little goblet of Hopsquatch, their hoppy barleywine. I think this is officially the first barleywine that I have ever had - and I was very impressed.

The Hopsquatch was pretty cloudy, which I liked. There was a nice head, but it sorta disappeared quickly. The brew had a really nice floral, fragrant aroma with some citrus. I'm sure I'm missing the elegant details, but whatever it was, smelled REALLY good. The taste is the best part of the beer - exceptionally smooth and well blended. Even though this is a hoppy beer, you wouldn't really know given how masterfully blended it was. I would take this beer anytime - I would just need to be really careful as it had 11.5% ABV! Holy crap!

Appearance - 4.0/5.0 - A nice cloudy rust color; just disappointed with quickly dissipating head
Smell - 4.0/5.0 - An awesome floral bouquet of smells - very nice
Taste -5.0/5.0 - Extremely smooth, flavorful and balanced. Just a really great tasting beer with all of the elements that you'd expect in an IPA, but nothing so strong as to offend.
Feel - 5.0/5.0 - A perfect blend and smoothness that just made the mouth happy.
Drinkability - 5.0/5.0 - Would drink again, just need to be careful due to the high alcohol content!


No comments: